Starting to manage or lead a team from scratch can be very daunting. This course provides delegates with the vital practical tools and techniques in managing and developing themselves and their teams to ensure that their professional and business goals are achieved. This will enable delegates to be effective from day one.
Who should attend?
This course will be of benefit to team leaders or new managers of teams of any size.
The course outline for team leader training is as follows:
- Characteristics of high performance teams
- Defining a team
- Characteristics of high performing teams
- Stages of group development
- Ways to engender team working
- Group exercise ‘shapes’ and review, facilitator presentation, small group and individual exercise
- Communication Styles
- Perceptions and filters
- Appreciating different communication styles
- Identifying our own communication style and preference
- Adjusting to other communication styles when managing team members
- Individual questionnaire, facilitator presentation, small group exercises, facilitated group review
- Emotional responses to change
- business and personal impacts of failing to deal with people’s needs and concerns
- identifying our own response to change
- identifying each phase and responding appropriately
- conveying compelling reasons for change
- Practical activity and discussion in small groups with group learning review, facilitator presentation, individual exercise
- Managing difficult behaviour in the workplace
- What causes difficult behaviour
- Strategies for responding to different behaviour styles
- Resolving conflict in a constructive way
- Facilitator presentation, small group exercise, facilitated group review
- Next steps
- Review of learning
- Personal action planning
- Course feedback
- Through an innovative mixture of trainer input and participant interaction, everyone is encouraged to participate in an experiential learning environment. The learning is enjoyable, memorable and easy to implement, with a strong focus on practical application and open discussion.
- The training methodology combines lectures, discussions, group exercises and illustrations. Participants will gain both theoretical and practical knowledge of the topics. The emphasis is on the practical application of the topics and as a result participant will go back to the workplace with both the ability and the confidence to apply the techniques learned to their duties.